Zonta Club of Cape Girardeau
Tuesday, March 6, 2018
Ray’s Banquet Center
Call to order: The meeting was called to order at 5:59pm by President Cheryl Klueppel. Guests in attendance were Kelly Green, Rachel Cobb and Leslie Bruner-Thresher.
Business Meeting: The February membership minutes were emailed to members. Minutes were approved by acclimation.
Treasurer’s Report: as of February, 2018
The Bank of Missouri: Service $9588.65; General $5322.17; MicroGift $9214.00; International $16,397.56 for a club total of $40,522.38.
Wood and Huston Bank: Foundation $37,084.74; Haiti $20,655.78 for a total of $57,740.52.
The treasurer’s report was approved by acclimation.
New Member Installation: Our membership director, Marsha Haskell, then installed our two newest members Betty Frink and Jane Moore.
Zonta Blessing and Dinner: After reciting the Zonta Blessing, we adjourned for dinner.
- Jennifer Criblez presented our women’s panel: “What It Is Like to be a Business Woman in Cape”. The panelists were former Zonta Club President Kelly Green and current Zontian Cheryl Mothes. They related what it is like to be a female business owner in male dominant professions.
- Cheryl Klueppel thanked everyone for participation in the Strategic Planning event and asked members to review the minutes from the Planning Session that were emailed to members. All goals and outcomes will go back to the proper committees for followup.
- President Cheryl also prepared a list of upcoming dates to remember and encouraged members to review.
- Cheryl thanked Linda Greaser and Diane Howard for their participation in the recent #PressForProgress forum held at SEMO in honor of International Women’s Day.
- President Cheryl reminded members that by-laws will be emailed to the membership prior to the April meeting date.
- She also encouraged members to attend the Area 2 and 4 meeting in Jefferson City April 21st from 8:30am – 2:00pm.
- President Cheryl closed with a quote from R. W. Emerson that says “don’t take the path that is always before you, but make your own trail.”
- Vicki Frank, chair of nominating, presented the slate of officers for 2018-2020.
- Vice President: Kathy Wolz
- Secretary: Jennifer Criblez
- Treasurer: Dr. Jan Ruopp
- Service Director: Melanie Baxter
- Nominating Committee: Lynette Willenbring, Linda Greaser and Polly Holten
- Sandy Hastings presented forms to the membership for donation to Zonta International during their annual campaign thru April 30th.
- Amanda Lincoln reminded all Zontians of the upcoming Flea Market to be held Saturday March 24th at Centennary UMC from 7:00am to Noon. Zontians are to arrive at 6:30am. Setup is Friday March 23rd from 1:00pm – 8:00pm. Marsha Haskell is in charge of Café Zonta. She encouraged members to bring finger foods such as brownies, cookies and gooey butter cakes.
- Trivia Nigh is Tuesday April 10th at 6:00pm at the VFW Hall. Members need to bring gift cards for prizes.
- The Haiti 5K is Saturday April 14th at 8:00am at the 4H Hall in Arena Park. Members are encouraged to be there by 6:30am.
- Amanda reminded the club that WOA is Friday November 16, 2018. The committee will meet Monday March 19th at 5:30pm at Katy O’Ferrell’s. The grand total for 2017 WOA is $23,892.79. Congratulations on a new club record!
- Marsha Haskell recognized Vicki Frank for 10 years of service.
- The Service Committee will meet on Thursday March 8th at 5:30pm at Jan Ruopp’s office to choose YWPA and Jane Klausmann scholarship recipients.
- Polly Holten announced that 12 people will be traveling to Haiti March 14-18 for the seventh annual dental mission trip.
- Saturday April 7th is the Walk for Women event and Thursday April 19th is the Adult Education Graduation at CTC.
- The #PressforProgress forum was Monday March 5th to celebrate International Women’s Day. Thanks to Zonta and Golden Z for their support.
- Book Club continues to meet on March 28th at Catapult Creative at 5:30pm. Chapters 14 and 15.
- Be Tween Initiative will meet Monday March 26th at 6:00pm at My Daddy’s Cheesecake.
- Kristy Nordin noted that our clubs goal is to have 1000 likes of our Facebook page by April 30th. Polly Holten was our first Member Monday participant and Kim Keser will be our second.
- Kristy noted that our website is great but we are missing member profiles. She handed out examples from other Zonta clubs and encouraged members to write their own profiles. The goal is to complete this task by May 31st.
- Casey Crowell noted that Gerry Prophete, President of Golden Z was instrumental in planning and presenting in the Press for Progress Forum. She also noted that Golden Z in conjunction with the Z club from Jefferson City prepared 100 feminine hygiene kits to take to the young women at HAC.
- Lorinard Dufuesne who lives with Dr. Danette Miller and family would like to purchase solar panels for his mom’s house in Haiti. He is looking for summer employment. The goal is to raise $5000.00.
- Andrea Sachse is in charge of sponsors for children. The goal is 100 children, she currently has 71 sponsors.
- Casey Crowell has been promoted to Senior Vice President of Treasury Solutions at Bank of Missouri.
- Cheryl Mothes noted that Dr. Heather Cugini has become collaborating physician at East Missouri Action Agency. This clinic allows access to affordable Healthcare for women and children in our community.
- Cheryl also noted that she and her husband Rick Hetzel will be opening Fresh and Healthy Café in June on Broadway and in Fitness Plus at St. Francis.
- Amanda Lincoln invited us to attend the Power of Women Luncheon on April 18th. The featured speaker is Tricia Reinhart.
With there being no further business, the meeting was adjourned 8:00pm.
Jan Ruopp, secretary