Zonta Club of Cape Girardeau
Tuesday, August 1, 2017
Ray’s Banquet Center
Call to order: The meeting was called to order by President Cheryl Klueppel at 6:01p.m. Guests were Mike and Jean Mueller, Pastor David Beausejour and Professor Pierre Ducola and Lisa Newcomer.
Business Meeting: The May membership minutes were posted on capezonta.org and were approved through acclimation.
Treasurer’s Report: Bank of Missouri: Service $9876.03; General $9955.16; Microgift $9507.21; International $14332.56 for a club total of $43670.96. US Bank: Foundation $23494.61; Haiti $20286.11 for a total of $43780.72
After reciting the Zonta blessing, the meeting adjourned for dinner.
• The program was presented by Hope Seeds and was arranged by Pat Hill.
• The District Conference will be held in Minneapolis, Minnesota on September 15-17, 2017. Our club will send two delegates. If club members wish to make application, the application is on our website and may be sent to Vicki Frank by August 15th.
• President Cheryl reported that the Haiti Mission Project has again been approved as the District Service Project for the next biennium.
• Kristy Nordin reported that the internal audit of our club’s books has been completed and suggestions will be posted on the website.
• Kristy also presented the Zonta Club Budget for 2017-2018 prepared by the Finance Commiteee. The one addition to the budget is the addition of the Golden Z Club. The budget is attached to the minutes and will be voted on at the Club Membership meeting in September.
• President Cheryl reported that our club partnered with the St. Louis Zonta Club on Saturday July 29th to paint at the Crisis Aid Refuge House. The 13 women painted 8 rooms. Crisis Aid is looking for room sponsors from our Area. It costs $1000.00 to sponsor a room.
• Backpack delivery will be starting in August. Callie will be contacting Zontians to schedule delivery.
• Melanie Baxter and Tracey Cooley reminded us that the race is Saturday August 12th. Workers need to be at the 4H Building at Arena Park by 6:15am. Registration begins at 7:00am. Pre registration and packet pick up is on Friday August 11th at MO Running Company from 3:00pm to 6:00pm. We still need more people to help the day of the race and we need more runners. You can also bring a cooler full of ice, donate door prizes or donate fruit or granola bars if you can’t run!
• The Haiti Medical Mission Trip is October 11-16. Some critical items still needed are Children’s Liquid Tylenol, Children’s Chewable Tylenol or Zyrtec, Gold Bond Powder Travel Size, NIX, NUUN Hydration Tablets and Tum’s.
• We are also collecting items for Pad-It thru the September meeting. Pad-It is now in 11 schools with plans to expand to include the Women’s Safehouse. LaKenya noted that you can leverage your buying power at Dollar General by getting $5.00 off when you spend at least $25.00 and an additional $3.00 by taking their survey.
• President Cheryl reported that we no longer have a service book because you can now keep track of service hours on the Member’s Page of our website.
• Marsha Haskell reported the following anniversaries:
o Dr. Danette Miller: 6 years
o Laura Jones: 2 years
o Krisinda Cook: 2 years
o Dr. Kim Keser: 7 years
• This month we will host a Happy Hour on Thursday August 17th at 5:00pm at Kay O’Ferrells.
• Just a reminder that the WOA reception for nominees will be Thursday October 26th at Hendrickson Business Advisors at 6:00pm. The Luncheon is Friday November 17th at Rays Banquet Center.
• LaKenya reminded us that second quarter meals are due August 15th. She will send an email reminder.
• Pat Hill invited us to help pack seeds for Hope Seeds every 2nd and 4th Friday at St. Paul Lutheran Church in Jackson. Contact Pat for times.
• Polly Holten reported that her son Bradley Holten and friends formed an internet start up business name Gurulla. They are in the running to win the first start up competition hosted by Codefi. The prize is $50,000.00.
• Cheryl Mothes invited members to attend the 2nd Annual Granting Grace concert to be held Sunday August 27th at 3:00pm at Grace Methodist Church. The concert is organized by Mike Dumey and includes choirs from Centenary and Grace Methodist churches and The Southern Brothers. Contact Cheryl Mothes if you need a ticket.
With no further business, the meeting was adjourned with the Zonta Code at 7:41 p.m.
Jan Ruopp, secretary