Zonta Club of Cape Girardeau
Monday July 24, 2017
Hendrickson Business Advisors
Call to order: The meeting was called to order by President Cheryl Klueppel at 5:53p.m.
Minutes: The June Board minutes and July membership minutes were presented on the website. There was a motion by Sandy Hastings and a second by Jennifer Criblez to approve the minutes as presented. The motion carried.
Correspondence: There was no correspondence.
• LaKenya presented via phone the June and July financials as posted on the website. There was a motion by Sandy Hastings and a second by Jennifer Criblez to approve the financials as presented. The motion carried.
• President Cheryl reported that the District Convention delegates need to be selected for District VII Conference September 15-17, 2017. Potential delegates are Cheryl Klueppel and Jennifer Criblez. If Jennifer is unable to attend we will open nominations to the club members at the August meeting.
• President Cheryl also reported that the 64th Zonta International Convention will be in Tokyo, Japan in June, 2018. Our club will send 2 delegates.
• President Cheryl reported that the By Laws Update will be performed by Casey Crowell, Jennifer Criblez and Cheryl Klueppel.
• President Cheryl also reported that the Haiti project will continue as the District Service Project for the next biennium.
• Finance chair Kristy Nordin presented the results of the recent audit to the Board. The recommendations from the audit committee are:
1. To provide an updated Explanation of funded items to be included but not limited to: late fees, all miscellaneous jewelry/pins, dining out, cookbooks, etc.
2. Clarify Quickbooks account descriptions to match budget items.
3. Recommend to update Quickbooks Balance columns to include “opening balance.”
4. Recommendation to verify how often reports must be provided to club. In addition, at various times when no activity is shown on an account the reconciliation statements were withheld from reporting. Recommendation to verify this against by-laws.
5. Recommend the separation of funds in the real world to match actual bank separation.
6. Recommendation to the finance committee to audit/approve the balance sheets prior to club reporting. This should be done on a schedule compliant with required reporting times verified in audit finding #4. Books should be closed on the 20th of the month to allow for reporting.
• The audit committee found the books to be in order as of May 31, 2017.
• There was a motion by Jennifer Criblez and a second by Amanda Lincoln to approve the findings as presented. The motion carried.
• Kristy then presented the proposed club budget for June 1, 2017 to May 31, 2018. The main addition to the club budget is the Golden Z club. Income and Expenses balance and the budget will be presented to the club in August with a vote in September. There was a motion by Sandy Hastings and a second by Jennifer Criblez to accept the budget as presented. The motion carried.
• Jennifer Criblez noted the upcoming programs are:
o August – Hope Seeds
o September – WOA Update
o October – UN/Advocacy Update
o November – 16 Days of Activism/Zonta Says No
o December – Auction
• Marsha Haskell informed the Board that instead of Lunch Bunch for August, the club will have a Happy Hour at Katy O’Ferrell’s on Thursday August 17th from 5-7pm.
• Jan Ruopp reported that our club will be painting at the St. Louis Crisis Aid Shelter this Saturday July 29th from 8-5. We will team up with the St. Louis club. Everyone is encouraged to help.
• Amanda Lincoln shared news from Melanie Baxter concerning the Haiti 5K run on Saturday August 12th. Melanie shared that we exceeded the number of sponsors we had from last year and the total number of sponsor dollars, but we have fewer runners. We will try to raffle a basket at the event, because we have had a donation of 2 round trip tickets to St. Louis from Cape Air.
• Amanda also reported that we will close the call of WOA nominees at the August meeting and will then send the application to the nominees after committee approval. She also reported that the sponsorship letter is being circulated and that the sponsor flyer is being updated. Sponsorship packets should be in the mail shortly after the first August.
President Cheryl reported that the next board meeting is scheduled for Monday August 28th at 5:45pm at Hendrickson Business Advisors. With there being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 7:29 p.m.
Janet B Ruopp, secretary
Zonta Club of Cape Girardeau